Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Watercolor Crayons

Last week during our getaway to Northfield, I had a chance to try out a set of watercolor crayons.  It was fun to play with something new!

DSC_5575 copy

The crayons are a lot like watercolor pencils.  You put the color down and then add water.  The difference is that the crayons are “creamier” than the pencils, and the colors are a little more vibrant.
  
DSC_5583 copy
I started out with a simple black ink sketch on a rough watercolor paper using my Prisma Micron pen

DSC_5586 copy
Then I colored it in with the crayons

DSC_5588 copy
I took a squirt bottle and spritzed it with water.  The colors just came to life!

DSC_5590 copy

DSC_5595 copyDSC_5596 copy
DSC_5601 copy


DSC_5602 copy

Once you add water, the colors start to bleed together.  You can add more color, and move the color around with a brush.
  
DSC_5580 copy
I did this one on a smoother paper, and used a brush to wet the crayon.  This is a much more controlled method.

Untitled-1a
I painted this one first and then added the pen and ink.
It was just fun to play around with the crayons with no expectations of creating a "work of art".  Next time I'm going to try out the crayons on a little canvas...we'll see what happens :)

Blessings to you my friends!

Maranatha!
Jane  <><

This is the confidence which we have before Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
1 John 5:14 

3 comments:

  1. Ive used watercolour pencils before, but never seen the crayons.

    Isn't it great to just have a play, with no expectations?
    It sure looks like you had fun.

    cheers
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your pictures. I wish I could draw and paint. Oh well at least I have my crochet and cross stitch. Thanks for sharing the beauty that is in you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I would love to hear from you!